Spectra SP20, an innovative handheld GNSS receiver
The Spectra SP20 is a GNSS receiver that you can just hold in your hands. That is very nice. And this receiver has some nice features that make it even better.
- Android operating system
- Ergonomic design
- Scalable accuracy
Android operating system
The operating system of this handheld GNSS receiver is Android. That makes it very easy to use. It is a very accessible operating system.
Besides the Spectra SP20 works exactly as an Android phone or an Android tablet. So many people will be able to use this handheld GNSS receiver right away.
Because of it having an Android operating system means that on this GNSS receiver Apglos Survey Wizard runs. So you can use this handheld GNSS receiver in combination with this easy-to-use land survey app.
So besides the workflow of this handheld GNSS receiver is easy it also has a ergonomic design. And that is a very positive case for a handheld device.
The Spectra SP20 has a nice grip to hold this GNSS receiver. Also the weight is not that heigh. It is only 850 gramms, which is less that a bottle of milk.
That is a reason that makes you be able to work with this handheld GNSS receiver a complete day. Of course it then also helps that the battery life of this device is more than 8 hours with the GNSS module on.
Another feature is the scalability of the accuracy. There are four options:
- meter accuracy
- sub-meter accuracy
- decimeter accuracy
- centimeter accuracy
This means that you can chose which accuracy you need for your project. That is a nice thing to know. Because for some projects a meter accuracy is sufficient. So then you don’t need centimeter accuracy. And the Spectra SP20 with meter accuracy is cheaper than the one with centimeter accuracy.
The good thing is that later if you need it you can upgrade it.
Benefits of the Spectra SP20
Knowing this features you might already expect that this handheld GNSS receiver has many benefits. And of course the biggest one is that it works with land survey app Apglos Survey Wizard. See more about this app here. The combination of these two items gives you an easy to use, but high quality GNSS receiver. And it is complete with all functionality.
Of course with the Spectra SP20 you don’t need a GPS rod anymore. That also means that you don’t have exact heights. But you can do have exact heights when you use the GPS rod that is specially made for this handheld GNSS receiver.
Also it is an ideal device for GIS purposes. That you can do well with the Apglos GIS Wizard.
So the Spectra SP20 is multifunctional. And that is what you need on all your projects.
Spectra SP20 manual
Spectra Geospatial is a well-known brand. It respects itself and their users. And that is one of the reasons why they have a clear user manual for this GNSS receiver. If you can’t figure out how to do something with the Spectra SP20 then you can look it up in the Spectra SP20 user manual. Spectra Geospatial calls it user guide.
But anyway it will help you out if you need it. You can download the Spectra SP20 user manual here.
With this Spectra SP20 manual you will be up and running with this handheld GNSS receiver in no time.
Specifications of the datasheet of Spectra SP20
And then there are the specifucations of the Spectra SP20. They come right away from the datasheet of this handheld GNSS receiver. Of course when you read the specifications you need to consider that there are several variations on the Spectra SP20.
- 240 GNSS channels
- GPS L1C/A, L1P(Y), L2P(Y), L2C
- GLONASS L1C/A, L2C/A
- BeiDou B1 (phase 2), B2
- Galileo E1, E5b
- QZSS L1C/A, L2C, L1SAIF
- SBAS L1C/A
- Scalable accuracy from meter to cm (meter, sub meter (30/30), dm (7/2), cm)
- Patented Z-Blade technology for optimal GNSS performance
- Full utilization of signals from all 6 GNSS systems (GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS and SBAS)
- Enhanced GNSS-centric algorithm fully-independent GNSS signal tracking and optimal data processing, including GPS-only, GLONASS-only or BeiDou-only solution (autonomous to full RTK)
- Fast Search engine for quick acquisition and re-acquisition of GNSS signals • Patented SBAS ranging for using SBAS code & carrier observations and orbits in RTK Processing • Patented Strobe™ Correlator for reduced GNSS multi-path
- Supported data formats: ATOM, CMR, CMR+, RTCM 2.1, 2.3, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 (including MSM), CMRx and sCMRx
REAL-TIME ACCURACY (RMS)1,2
- Horizontal: < 50 cm
- Vertical: < 85 cm
Real-Time DGPS position
- Horizontal: 25 cm + 1 ppm
- Vertical: 50 cm + 1 ppm
Real-Time Kinematic Position (RTK)3
- Horizontal: 10 mm + 1 ppm
- Vertical: 15 mm + 1 ppm
- Typically 2 sec for baselines < 20 km
- Up to 99.9% reliability
RTK initialization range
- over 40 km
POST-PROCESSING ACCURACY (RMS)1,2
Static & Fast Static
- Horizontal: 3 mm + 0.5 ppm
- Vertical: 5 mm + 0.5 ppm
High-Precision Static 4
- Horizontal: 3 mm + 0.1 ppm
- Vertical: 3.5 mm + 0.4 ppm
DATA LOGGING CHARACTERISTICS
- Recording interval: 1 – 999 seconds
PROCESSOR OF SPECTRA SP20
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 410
- Clock frequency: 1.2 GHz
- Android® 6.0 (Google certified)
- Languages available: Afrikaans, German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Greek, Russian, Azebaijani, Czech, Danish, Lithuanian, Hungarian, Dutch, Norwegian (Bokmal), Romanian, Finnish, Swedish, Turkish, Bulgarian, Serbian (Cyrillic), Hindi, Polish
- Software package includes: Google Mobile Services, Sat-Look
- 2 GB SDRAM
- Storage: 16 GB (non volatile).
- MicroSDHC™ memory card: (up to 64 GB, SanDisk®, KingstonR recommended)
- GSM (850,900,1800,1900), GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, WCDMA (B1, B2, B5, B8), HSPA, TDSCDMA (B34, B39), LTE-FDD(B1, B3, B4, B5, B7, B8, B20), LTE-TDD (B38/B39/ B40/B41)
- Wi-Fi (IEEE) 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth 4.0 dual mode
- USB (micro B USB connector)
- USB 2.0 (micro)
- External antenna connector (TNC)
- Audio jack 2.5 plug (CTIA/AHJ standards)
ENVIRONMENTAL CHARACTERISTICS OF SPECTRA SP20
- Operating temperature: -20° to +60°C (-4 to 140°F)
- Storage temperature: -30° to +70°C without battery (-22 to 158°F) 5
- Humidity: 95% non condensing
- Water & dust proof: IP67
- Free drop: 1.2 m on concrete
- Shocks: MIL STD 810 (fig 516.5-10) (01/2000)
- Vibration: MIL-STD-810F (fig 514.5C-17) (01/2000)
- Battery Li-Ion: 6400mAh
- Battery life: > 8 hrs @ 20 °C with GNSS on
- Charging time: 4 hours
- Removable battery
- Size: 29.5 x 12 x 4.5 cm (11.6 x 4.7 x 1.8 in)
- Weight: 850 g (1.87 lb)
- 2 volume keys, on/off/reset key, 2 programmable keys, standard Android touch panel buttons
- On screen keyboard display
- Size: 5.3” capacitive multi touch
- Resolution: 1280×720 pixels
- Brightness: 450 Cd/m2
- Gorilla Glass damage-resistant
- Auto rotate between Portrait and Landscape
MULTIMEDIA & SENSORS
- Rear camera: 13 M pixels with flash light
- Front camera: 2 M pixels
- Light sensor
STANDARD ACCESSORIES OF SPECTRA SP20
- Screen protectors (x2)
- A/C charger
- USB cable
- Battery door opener
- Monopole adaptor
- RTK rover: Direct IP, NTRIP (VRS,FKP,MAC networks)
- Post-processing • Trimble RTX (IP and Satellite)
- Accuracy and TTFF specifications may be affected by atmospheric conditions, signal multipath, satellite geometry and corrections availability and quality.
- Performance values assume minimum of five satellites, following the procedures recommended in the product manual. High multipath areas, high PDOP values and periods of severe atmospheric conditions may degrade performance. Real time accuracies depend on SP20 accuracy option. PP accuracy obtained with ATOM files processed by SPSO.
- SP20 cm used with Monopole accessory
- Long baselines, long occupations, precise ephemeris used
- Batteries can be stored up to +70°C.