Spectra SP60, a GNSS receiver with great features
The Spectra SP60 is a good GNSS receiver of Spectra Geospatial. This GNSS receiver has some nice features:
- Extended scalability
- Z-Blade GNSS-centric technology
- Anti-theft technology
- Long Range Bluetooth
The Spectra SP60 comes in different variations. There are variations in the L-band. So there is the option to have only L1, but you can also chose to have band L1 and L2.
Besides that the Spectra SP60 has also two options in receiving the signals of the satellite constellations. Of course there is the option to receive all constellations: GPS, GLONASS, BEIDOU and GALILEO. But Spectra Geospatial also chose to offer the Spectra SP60 with only GPS.
And then there is the last option you can chose from. That is the radio. The Spectra SP60 has an option without a radio. But besides that option it can also come with a radio. A radio is used by the Spectra SP60 to communicate with other GNSS receivers in a rover-base solution. And then when you chose for this GNSS receiver with a radio you can still chose the frequency. There is the option of 410-430 MHz. And there is the option of 430-470 MHz.
So there is lots of choice. And that makes this Spectra SP60 suitable for lots of purposes.
Z-Blade GNSS-centric technology
Spectra Geospatial is very proud about their Z-Blade GNSS-centric technology. And it is a nice technology.
Since GPS was the first satellite constellation that was used for positioning it still plays a big role in positioning. In many GNSS receivers the signals of GPS are valued more than the ones of other satellite constellations like GLONASS, BEIDOU and GALILEO. So those receivers always need signals of some amount of GPS satellites to give an exact position.
In the Spectra SP60 that uses the Z Blade technology that is not the case. They value all satellite signals the same. So when it gets enough satellites it will give an accurate position. That is why the Spectra SP60 will give more often an accurate position in hard conditions like with trees or close to buildings than other receivers.
The Spectra SP60 GNSS receiver has anti-theft technology. When set up the Spectra SP60 will generate an audio alert and be blocked from further use when stolen.
Long Range Bluetooth
Besides the previous features this GNSS receiver has long range Bluetooth. This means it can communicate with other Bluetooth devices over a long range. This gives you as a user more possibilities to connect this GNSS receiver. So it is suitable for more purposes.
Benefits of the Spectra SP60
Knowing that the Spectra SP60 has lots of features, then you probably assume that this GNSS receiver also has lots of benefits as well. And that is true.
The main one comes from the Z-Blade technology. Because of some other calculation method than other GNSS receivers this receiver works better in the area of trees. And even under trees. Of course it all depends with how many signals the GNSS receiver receives. But with this technology it will work well in a forest area.
Also the anti-theft technology is great benefit. With this GNSS receiver you can land survey without having to worry that it gets stolen. And that is relieving. Because GNSS receivers are not the cheapest equipment of land surveryors. And especially not if the receivers are of any good quality.
Besides the receiver has Bluetooth. So of course it works then great with Apglos Survey Wizard. The combination of the Spectra SP60 with this easy-to-use land survey app is great. If you want to know more about Apglos Survey Wizard then check out this page. There more is written about this land survey app.
Spectra SP60 user manual
Spectra Geospatial is a well-known brand. It respects itself and their users. So yes they have a user manual for this GNSS receiver. If you don’t know how something has to be done with this Spectra SP60 then you can check it in the Spectra SP60 user manual. Spectra Geospatial calls it user guide.
But anyway it will help you out if you need it. You can download the Spectra SP60 user manual here.
Specifications of Spectra SP60
So yes, this GNSS receiver has nice features. But in the end it is all about how it performs. And you can see a lot of how it will perform in the specifications. So here are the specifications of the Spectra SP60. Reading the specifications you need to consider that there are several variations on the Spectra SP60.
GNSS CHARACTERISTICS of the Spectra SP60
- 240 GNSS channels – GPS L1C/A, L1P(Y), L2P(Y), L2C, L1C – GLONASS L1C/A, L2C/A, L1P, L2P – QZSS L1C/A, L2C, L1Z, L1C – BeiDou B1, B2, B1C – Galileo E1, E5b – SBAS L1C/A – L-band MSS
- Patented Z-Blade technology for optimal GNSS performance – Full utilization of signals from all 6 GNSS systems (GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS and SBAS) – Enhanced GNSS-centric algorithm: fully-independent GNSS signal tracking and optimal data processing, including GPS-only, GLONASS-only or BeiDou-only solution (autonomous to full RTK) – Fast Search engine for quick acquisition and re-acquisition of GNSS signals
- Support for Trimble RTX™ real-time correction services
- Patented SBAS ranging for using SBAS code & carrier observations and orbits in RTK processing
- Patented Strobe™ Correlator for reduced GNSS multi-path
- Up to 10 Hz real-time raw data (code & carrier and position output)
- Supported data formats: ATOM, CMR, CMR+, RTCM 2.1, 2.3, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 (including MSM), CMRx and sCMRx (rover only)
- NMEA 0183 messages output
REAL-TIME ACCURACY (RMS) (1)(2)
- Horizontal: < 50 cm
- Vertical: < 85 cm
Real-Time DGPS position
- Horizontal: 25 cm + 1 ppm
- Vertical: 50 cm + 1 ppm
Real-Time Kinematic position (RTK)
- Horizontal: 8 mm + 1 ppm
- Vertical: 15 mm + 1 ppm
GIS accuracy modes
- 30/30 – Horizontal: 30 cm – Vertical: 30 cm
- 7/2 (firmware option needed) – Horizontal: 7 cm – Vertical: 2 cm
- Instant-RTK® Initialization – Typically 2 sec for baselines < 20 km – Up to 99.9% reliability
- RTK initialization range: over 40 km
POST-PROCESSING ACCURACY (RMS) (1)(2)
Static & Fast static
- Horizontal: 3 mm + 0.5 ppm
- Vertical: 5 mm + 0.5 ppm
High-Precision Static (3)
- Horizontal: 3 mm + 0.1 ppm
- Vertical: 3.5 mm + 0.4 ppm
Post-Processed Kinematic (PPK)
- Horizontal: 8 mm + 1 ppm
- Vertical: 15 mm + 1 ppm
DATA LOGGING CHARACTERISTICS
- 0.1 – 999 seconds
- Size 21 x 21 x 7 cm (8.3 x 8.3 x 2.3 in)
- Weight 930 g (2.08 lb) User interface
- Five LEDs for Power, Tracking, Bluetooth, Recording, Radio operations I/O interface
- RS232 serial link
- USB 2.0/UART and USB OTG
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. Long range: Class 1 (17dbm) Memory
- 256 MB internal memory NAND Flash
- Over a month of 15 sec. raw GNSS data from 14 satellites Operation
- RTK rover & base
- RTK network rover: VRS, FKP, MAC
- NTRIP, Direct IP
- Trimble RTX (satellite and cellular/IP)
Environmental characteristics of the Spectra SP60
- Operating temperature: -40° to +65°C / (-40° to +149°F) (4)
- Storage temperature: -40° to +85°C / (-40° to +185°F) (5)
- Humidity: 100% condensing
- IP67 waterproof, sealed against sand and dust
- Drop: 2m pole drop on concrete
- Shocks: MIL STD 810 (fig 516.5-10) (01/2000)
- Vibration : MIL-STD-810F (fig 514.5C-17) (01/2000) Power characteristics
- Li-Ion battery, 7.4 V, 2600 mAh
- Battery life: 10 hrs (GNSS On, UHF Rx Off) 8 hrs (GNSS On, UHF Rx On)
- External DC power: 9-28 V
Standard system components
- SP60 receiver
- Li-Ion battery
- Dual battery charger, power supply and international power cord kit
- Tape measure (3.6 m / 12 ft)
- 7 cm pole extension
- USB to mini-USB cable
- 2 year warranty
- Accuracy and TTFF specifications may be affected by atmospheric conditions, signal multipath, satellite geometry and corrections availability and quality.
- Performance values assume minimum of five satellites, following the procedures recommended in the product manual. High multipath areas, high PDOP values and periods of severe atmospheric conditions may degrade performance.
- Long baselines, long occupations, precise ephemeris used
- At very high temperatures UHF module should not be used in the transmitter mode. With UHF transmitter on radiating 2W of RF power, the operating temperature is limited to + 55°C (+131°F).
- Without batteries. Batteries can be stored up to +70°C. 6 Receiver initialization time varies based on GNSS constellation health, level of multipath, and proximity to obstructions such as large trees and buildings.
Connect Spectra SP60 with Apglos Survey Wizard
As mentioned before this GNSS receiver works with Apglos Survey Wizard. And that is a good thing. Another good thing is that configuring the receiver to work with this land survey app is not that hard. So we made a video on it.
So as you can see it is not hard to configure and make the connection. This combination is ideal for anyone that wants an easy and solid solution for land surveying.