Spectra SP85, an improved GNSS receiver
The Spectra SP85 is a GNSS receiver that the development is based on decades of GNSS RTK technology. That is why it is an improved GNSS receiver. And that is why it has some great features:
- Z-Blade GNSS-centric technology
- Great connectivity
- Anti-theft technology
Z-Blade GNSS-centric technology
Spectra Geospatial is very proud about their Z-Blade GNSS-centric technology. And it is a nice technology.
Since GPS was the first satellite constellation that was used for positioning it still plays a big role in positioning. In many GNSS receivers the signals of GPS are valued more than the ones of other satellite constellations like GLONASS, BEIDOU and GALILEO. So those receivers always need signals of some amount of GPS satellites to give an exact position.
In the Spectra SP85 that uses the Z Blade technology that is not the case. They value all satellite signals the same. So when it gets enough satellites it will give an accurate position. That is why the Spectra SP85 will give more often an accurate position in hard conditions like with trees or close to buildings than other receivers.
The Spectra SP85 GNSS receiver has a combination of communication technologies. Under those technologies there is a 3.5G GSM/UMTS modem. But then there is also Bluetooth, which makes it easy to connect this GNSS receiver to Apglos Survey Wizard.
Besides that the Spectra SP85 has also a WiFi connection. And then there is the option for an internal UHF transmit radio. With the radio you can make a rover base solution very easily.
So there are lots of options to make a connection with the GNSS receiver SP85.
You can use the cellular modem for text messages and e-mail alerts. But you can also use it for the normal internet or VRS connectivity.
The Spectra SP85 GNSS receiver has anti-theft technology. When set up the Spectra SP85 will generate an audio alert and be blocked from further use when stolen. When set up this anti-theft protection the Spectra SP85 will generate an audio alert.
Above all the GNSS receiver will send an SMS or an e-mail to you with the most recent coordinates of the Spectra SP85
Benefits of the Spectra SP85
So the Spectra SP85 has lots of awesome features. And those features lead to great benefits for you. So let’s talk about those benefits.
The main one comes from the Z-Blade technology. Because of some other calculation method than other GNSS receivers this receiver works better in the area of trees. And even under trees. Of course it all depends with how many signals the GNSS receiver receives. But with this technology it will work well in a forest area. So you can cover a bigger area without having to use other land survey equipment.
Also the anti-theft technology is great benefit. With this GNSS receiver you can land survey without having to worry that it gets stolen. And that is relieving. Because GNSS receivers are not the cheapest equipment of land surveryors. And especially not if the receivers are of any good quality like this Spectra SP85.
And of course one of the main benefits is that it works with Apglos Survey Wizard. You can read more on this easy to use land survey app on this page. The combination of the GNSS receiver Spectrs SP85 with Apglos Survey Wizard is a combination that gives high quality results in a very easy to use method. And everyone likes quality and ease-of-use. So this combination is working for everyone.
Spectra SP85 user manual
Spectra Geospatial is a well-known brand. It respects itself and their users. And that is one of the reasons why they have a clear user manual for this GNSS receiver. If you want to look up something to do with this GNSS receiver then you can look it up in the Spectra SP85 user manual. Spectra Geospatial calls it user guide.
But anyway it will help you out if you need it. You can download the Spectra SP85 user manual here.
And if you just want to start quick with this GNSS receiver there is the Spectra SP85 quick user guide. You can download it here. This quick user guide will help you to start working with this GNSS receiver very quicky.
Specifications of Spectra SP85
Of course by now you will be interested in the specifications of the Spectra SP85. In the end the specifications tell you more on the GNSS receiver and if it matches your needs. Of course when you read the specifications you need to consider that there are several variations on the Spectra SP85.
GNSS CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SPECTRA SP85
- 600 GNSS channels
– GPS L1C/A, L1P(Y), L2C, L2P(Y), L5
– GLONASS L1C/A, L1P, L2C/A, L2P, L3
– BeiDou (Phase II) B1, B2
– Galileo E1, E5a, E5b
– QZSS L1C/A, L1C, L2C, L5
– IRNSS L5
– SBAS L1C/A, L5 (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS, GAGAN, SDCM)
– L-band MSS
- Support for Trimble RTX™ real-time correction services
- Patented Z-Blade technology for optimal GNSS performance
– Full utilization of signals from all 7 GNSS systems (GPS,
GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS, IRNSS and SBAS)
– Enhanced GNSS-centric algorithm: fully-independent
GNSS signal tracking and optimal data processing,
including GPS-only, GLONASS-only, Galileo-only, or BeiDouonly solution (Autonomous to full RTK)
- Fast Search engine for quick acquisition and re-acquisition
of GNSS signals
- SBAS ranging for using SBAS code & carrier observations
and orbits in RTK processing
- Patented Strobe™ Correlator for reduced GNSS multi-path
Up to 20 Hz real-time raw data (code & carrier and position
- Supported data formats: ATOM, CMR, CMR+, RTCM 2.1, 2.2,
2.3, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 (including MSM), CMRx and sCMRx (rover
- NMEA 0183 messages output
REAL-TIME ACCURACY (RMS) (1)(2)(7)
- Horizontal: < 50 cm
- Vertical: < 85 cm
Real-Time DGPS position
- Horizontal: 25 cm + 1 ppm
- Vertical: 50 cm + 1 ppm
Real-Time Kinematic Position (RTK)
- Horizontal: 8 mm + 1 ppm
- Vertical: 15 mm + 1 ppm
Network RTK (6)
- Horizontal: 8 mm + 0.5 ppm
- Vertical: 15 mm + 0.5 ppm
- Instant-RTK® Initialization
– Typically 2 sec for baselines < 20 km
– Up to 99.9% reliability
- RTK initialization range: over 40 km
POST-PROCESSING ACCURACY (RMS) (1)(2)(7)
Static & Fast Static
- Horizontal: 3 mm + 0.5 ppm
- Vertical: 5 mm + 0.5 ppm
High-Precision Static (3)
- Horizontal: 3 mm + 0.1 ppm
- Vertical: 3.5 mm + 0.4 ppm
DATA LOGGING CHARACTERISTICS
- 0.05 – 999 seconds
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF SPECTRA SP85
- Size 22.2 x 19.4 x 7.5 cm (8.7 x 7.6 x 3.0 in)
- Weight 1.17 kg (2.57 lb)
- User Interface: Graphical PMOLED display, WEB UI (accessible via WiFi) for easy configuration, operation, status, and data transfer I/O Interface
- RS232 serial link
- USB 2.0/UART
- Bluetooth 5.0 dual mode
- WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
- 3.5G quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) / penta-band UMTS module (800/850/900/1900/2100 MHz)
- 4GB internal memory NAND Flash (3.5 GB user data)
- Over two years of 15 sec. raw GNSS data from 14 satellites
SD/SDHC internal memory card (up to 32GB)
- RTK rover & base
- RTK network rover: VRS, FKP, MAC
- NTRIP, Direct IP
- CSD mode
- RTK bridge
- UHF repeater
- UHF networking
- Trimble RTX (satellite and cellular/IP)
- Operating temperature: -40° to +65°C (-40° to +149°F) (4)
- Storage temperature: -40° to +85°C (-40° to +185°F) (5)
- Humidity: 100% condensing
- IP67 waterproof, sealed against sand and dust
- Drop: 2m pole drop on concrete
- Shock: ETS300 019
- Vibration: MIL-STD-810F
- Power Characteristics
- 2 Li-Ion hot-swappable batteries, 41.4 Wh (2 x 7.4 V, 2800 mAh)
- Battery life time (two batteries): 10 hrs (GNSS On, and GSM or UHF Rx On)
- External DC power: 9-28 V
Standard System Components of Spectrs SP85
- SP85 receiver
- 2 Li-Ion batteries
- Dual battery charger, power supply and international power cord kit
- Tape measure (3.6 m / 12 ft)
- 7 cm pole extension
- USB to mini-USB cable
- Hard case
Optional System Components
- SP85 UHF Kit (410-470 MHz 2W TRx)
- Accuracy and TTFF specifications may be affected by atmospheric conditions,
signal multipath, satellite geometry and corrections availability and quality.
- Performance values assume minimum of five satellites, following the
procedures recommended in the product manual. High multi-path areas,
high PDOP values and periods of severe atmospheric conditions may degrade
- Long baselines, long occupations, precise ephemeris used
- At very low temperatures UHF module should not be used in the
- Without batteries. Batteries can be stored up to +70°C.
- Network RTK PPM values are referenced to the closest physical base station.
- Receiver initialization time varies based on GNSS constellation health, level of
multipath, and proximity to obstructions such as large trees and buildings.